Sunday, April 28, 2013

I'm sorry, I don't need an MRS to provide for myself

I read today," Remember ladies, it doesn't matter how well you do on your finals as long as your future husband is acing his."

I felt slightly bad because my potential husband isn't even in college; he has actually dropped out twice.
Then I remembered that it does matter how well you do on your finals because you want to be a strong woman and contribute to the family income which includes a profitable business that your potential husband is in line to inherit.

No need for housewife status for me, I'm not that kind of girl.
It's nice knowing that you don't need an M.R.S to survive.
Yes, I am in a long-term relationship that can potentially turn into marriage, but that is not my security blanket. I am my security blanket.  Most women need to realize that the only thing that can make you is yourself.

Yes, a man can give you the world and promise you everything and some men keep their promises. However, what happens when something goes bad? There are several hypothetical situations that could arise. He stops loving you. His income diminishes. He dies. You and only you are your security blanket. Placing all of your stock in a man is the worst thing you can do.

As you read this you probably think, " She's so anti-man, such a feminist, blahhhhh." No. I am not. I am however someone who knows that money is important to a certain degree and love is more important than anything when it comes to finding a life partner. You find yourself a man that WANTS to give you everything, even if he can't he will still love you to the moon and back. A man that wants to give you the world is a man worth keeping whether he can give it to you or not.

My second piece, ladies don't sit around soaking up all of the luxuries that he provides. Do something with yourself; contribute something. It is not necessary to have a job ( although it is what my personal preference is in this situation) but please do something. Volunteer, take care of the kids, make SURE that your kids are taken care of. Head a committee. Do absolutely anything that 1) helps you develop skills and 2) allows you to be able to say that you are more than a stereotypical housewife.

If being a housewife is your preference then that is fine. I wrote this to provoke thoughts and have women my age really think about where they want to place themselves in their lives and future households.

Better to think now than later when your husband leaves you in any form, shape or fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment